Thursday, March 4, 2010

I love old men!

Today I had a great experience that really affected me for good. I was out of a few items of food, and thought that I would go and get them by myself and the boys (my hubby usually comes with me grocery shopping now since I have had the 2nd child.) If you have multiple kids, you realize how challenging it came be to juggle everything. My challenge is: Tate can be good at walking along side of the grocery cart for a short time, BUT gets bored quickly and wants to start touching everything, running ahead of me...(but of course, he is a 2 year old)...and just getting lost at times. Davin on the other hand does better in his car seat. (This works better for me, so I can put Tate in the cart seat, and Davin sits in his seat. (BUT my problem is, I don't have enough room to put groceries. SOOO.............now my story can now begin. I went to Macey's to grab a few things(I LOVE THIS STORE by the way.) Tate wanted to be in the HUGE car cart (which is hard to maneuver)..and so I sat him in the steering wheel seats, Davin of course had to be in his car seat...so he had to sit in the basket part....NOW for the shopping...and no where for anything to go. Well as you know, you can't go to the grocery store without seeing more things that you need. Poor Davin had things on his lap (in his car seat) and Tate had things down by his feet. So the moral of the story goes, I went to check out and had to Take Davins car seat out of the basket, so they could put my grocery bags in the cart part. Now, you know how they ask you if you would like help out to your car? I always say NO, no matter what the case may be. BUT this time, with the VERY hard to maneuver cart, a 20 pound kid in a 10 pound or more car seat..with $100.00 worth of grocery's I thought that I would say yes this time. WELL, of course when I was done paying...The kid had a POO face..and I could tell he did NOT want to help me out...so I was NOT going to ask him. I hefted the car seat on one arm, tried to push the freakin car cart with the other. (stopped to return a red box) and saw about 3-4 more workers look at me...with POO faces..and nope, not a sole offered to help. NOW, DON'T THINK THAT THIS IS A POOR PICKED ON STORY..IT GETS BETTER...(trust me, with 2 kids 18 months apart...I get a lot of stares, and people coming up to me saying "bless your heart"..but I am use to it...I love these boys, and wouldn't trade them for NOTHIN.. Plus it could be worse.) ANYWAYS, I rounded the corner to go outside, and WHAT DO YOU KNOW...it is pooring CATS and DOGS. I thought, you have gotta be kidding. I stopped to pull Tate's hood up, and try and cover poor Davin..with the itty bitty blanket that I had brought. I started the juggle and in walks a man...must have been in his mid to late 80's. WHAT DOES HE DO? He offers to help me out to my car, I say...NO, I am fine sir...THANK YOU..but I will be fine..and MY car is not that far away. WELL, he wasn't going to take that as an answer...and says I must help you. Of course, we start walking out in the rain...at his speed..which I was quite impressed with. We got to my car (which I was caught in a lie..it was way out in boony land)..we get to my car..I thank him and tell him that I can handle it from here. NOPE, he would not have it...he said "please get your kids in car, they are getting soaked. He also was worried about my purse getting wet..and so I got the kids buckled in (and my cheap purse into the car)..as he insisted in unloading all of my groceries. I thanked the sweet old man, and told him I would take the cart back to the holder...NOPE...he had to bring it back into the store. NOW..if that story just doesn't bring a tear to your eye, I don't know what would... ;) What a sweet old man. He did not need to do that in any means..but he DID. He made my day! He made my week and even my month!! He made me wanna be a better person, and do good. He is what I call Christ like. He is what we need more of in this world. Was it a pain for him?? I am not sure. Was he soaked?? For sure.....What a sweet old man from providence...I will be FOREVER grateful.

Now make sure you check out the last 6 posts, I spent an eternity uploading them the other day... THANKS!

16 comments:

The Child Family said...

What a sweet story. I can't believe the workers at Macey's just let you walk by, with poo faces no doubt. They're usually so nice... you know you need a Temple recommend, or a Bishops note to get a job there right? (just kidding, not really, but it seems that way). Anyway, I'm glad your knight in shining armor came and helped you out!!!!

Annie said...

Love that story, and yes, it did bring a tear to my eye. I definitely know the struggles of grocery shopping, and find it odd that, when the workers can tell you are struggling, they avoid you like the plague!! You should send an anonymous letter to Macey's with that story. Not to get anyone in trouble, but maybe management can re-motivate it's employees to help out a little more.

Oh, and love all your other posts! I read each and everyone of them word for word and you have one rockin' awesome life!

Dream Big Designs said...

Those bath photos are sooo cute! What a touching story. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful week! Love ya!

Lisa said...

What a nice old man! HE should get a JOB at MACEY'S helping mommy shoppers like us out to their cars ;) I read all of your other posts too. Glad you guys are doing well. Sarah and I will have to come visit you soon!

Alabama Apples said...

Thank you for sharing that! I love how when things are rotten, people every now and then will brighten our day. I think the Lord gives us these special little miracles. I adore the kind comments, helpful hands and understanding smiles...they make up for the rude stares, obnoxious mutterings and other annoyances that I come across with my brood.

Good job posting...I don't feel like I will ever catch up with life right now! :) How fun to get together with your old bunch...I haven't seen my bffs for years...booo!! Isn't it crazy how life just seems to fly by! Crazy thinking of all of us having children!

I love the bucket picture! That is just like my Gunner (#3). He is all about hats, masks, blankets, etc. on his head, especially right before we go somewhere.

Lena Phillips said...

Don't you just love old guys?! They have so much respect and chivalry and are all around just great. What a sweet story. Makes me want to be a better person as well.

Megan said...

I bet he was one of the three nephites ;) I love old men too! The macey's people are always so good. Booo to them! I do <3 maceys to tho.

Elisa said...

That is an amazing story! It brought tears to my eyes. I bet he felt warm even though he was soaking wet! I need to look out for those opportunities, but it is hard when you are trying to just keep track of your own kids. I want to be like that! I didn't realize your boys are only 18 months apart. Callie and Jackie are 19 months apart and I thought that was close! People always ask me how old my kids are and I kinda lie and say they are all about 2 years apart(I had 4 in 5 1/2 years). I had a nice old man call me fertile mertle once. I just had to laugh! Sorry to ramble!

Jenny said...

What an awesome experience! A blessing for you both I'm sure! Thanks for sharing.

Heidi said...

That's awesome! Experiences like that make ME want to be better.

(I went to the store today with both kiddos-I was dreading it, but with no milk, bread, etc. I had no choice. I had hoped Carl would come with me this weekend, but worked the whole and Carl's mom and my mom have been gone alot.....hmmm. point being I so understand the craziness of shopping. Last time we were there(Carl was even with us) Carson took off and I ended up running around frantic trying to find him....about had a heart attack.

and...

...doesn't it feel good to have a full pantry and fridge?

Heidi said...

oh...and how did your shoes and dessert turn out?
(I was at a doctor's appt. when you texted me and I couldn't really chat)

Chelise said...

Aw..what a sweet old man! I luv experiences like this. You know i was just thinking about cinco de mayo with you guys. Fun times!!

Cristi Lou said...

That is really awesome. I wish that some of the Macey's employees could have seen that! I had 2 cute old man experiences shopping this week too. One old man came up to me and told me that my girls were so cute and he gave each one a quarter.....and what do you know, first thing Emma does is try to put it in her mouth. The man was gone by then so I put it in my pocket. Another day an older man not in his 80's but more like 50's asked if he could give each one of my girls a string cheese because they were cute and being so good. I thought that both of these men were sweet. Love experiences like these. Thanks for sharing yours..I thought I'd share mine too! Love ya!

The Strawn Family said...

I had that exact thing happen to me at Macey's but it was an old woman. I want to be a better person and pay attention to whats going on around me. Sometimes I just get in the routine and only think about myself and don't even notice others. Thanks for sharing!

Kittyrunner said...

That is so sweet! That would never happen here, I'll tell ya. (ok, maybe that's too pessimistic--it would be very unlikely to happen here) That's what makes me miss Cache Valley--the people.

Anonymous said...

what a sweet old man!! i love this story, thanks for sharing it, I'm glad he was so good to you and your boys. I know what you mean about shopping with kids :)